Monday, October 11, 2010

Thank you Dave!

I am home now from completing the Washington DC 3-Day for the Cure walk.  It was wonderful.  It was impossible.  It was the hardest thing I've ever asked my body to do.  It was an emotional roller coaster.  It was a weekend full of touching moments.  It was amazing.

I have a lot of stories to tell, a lot of special memories, and I will write about them in due time.  But the first thing I need to do is say THANK YOU to my husband, Dave.

This guy was amazing.  He was at the dinner table one night in March with my friends Lori and Lori, when I decided I was going to do this crazy thing, and his encouragement began right then and there.

All spring and summer, he was right there by my side for my longest and hardest training sessions: on his birthday, in the rain, fighting off wild dogs and tame geese, and on the hottest day of the year.

He helped me raise funds: he kicked off my donations by seeding the pot, he volunteered his time and energy at the treasure sale fund raiser, he came to support me at our sing-out fund raiser.

He gave me the moral support I needed all along the way to preparing for this event.

He woke up on Day 1 at oh-dark-hundred to drive me and my team mates down to the Opening Ceremonies.  And then he showed up on Day 1 at Cheering Station #1, even when our team was at the back of the pack and almost all the other cheering folks had already left.

He showed up on Day 2 at Cheering Station #1 with my son Mike, with one of the funniest signs of the day.

He and Mike showed up on Day 2 at Cheering Station #2, giving me the encouragement I needed to get that far, and to go a little further.

He took my phone call on Saturday night, when I was feeling down about having stopped walking before the end, and he helped me feel proud of my accomplishments.

He sent me encouragement all weekend via text messages.

He and Mike showed up on Day 3 at Cheering Station #1, and gave me the huge hugs that I needed to keep going even though I was really hurting.

Then he and Mike were there again at Cheering Station #2, telling me I could do it, and giving me the boost I needed.

He and Mike popped up out of nowhere at the White House on Day 3, and walked with me for a few minutes, then sent me on to the last few miles with his encouragement.

He kept texting me to keep me going.

He picked up my bags, and my friends' bags, at the closing ceremonies.

He and Mike carried our bags through the subway and to the car for us, and drove us home.

And when we got home, he made me dinner and brought me new band-aids.

All the way through this crazy journey, he was there for me, encouraging me and supporting me.  I could not have done it without him.

I love you, Dave!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are lucky to have him, and he you. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. Love to you both, and congrats. The accomplishment is multi-fold. :)