Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Happy Surprise


What a happy surprise!   I came home from work today and discovered that I had received a generous donation toward my 3-day fund raising effort from a person totally out of the blue!

See, I do some light volunteer work for my kids' high school band program.  Last night I was in the band room with three other moms, fitting the students for their marching band uniforms.  I don't know these other moms very well, but they were very friendly, and working together we got the job done with no glitches.  So when I got home last night, I hopped onto facebook to see if they have accounts.  One of them does, so I "friended" her.  Then I went to bed and thought nothing of it.

Today, I arrived home after work and discovered that my new facebook friend had generously made a donation to my 3-day effort.  Wow!  I know that I did not talk about the walk last night.  I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier in the summer when we were having a volunteer meeting.  But either way, I know that I did not yet reach out to directly ask my new friend for a donation.  She simply saw my donation block on my facebook profile, opened up her heart and her checkbook and contributed toward the cause.

I think it's pretty awesome that the 3-day event has such recognition that it pretty much sells itself and people feel comfortable donating without any hesitation.  I think it's pretty awesome that the facebook application was made available for us, and that it worked so well to draw folks in to the effort.

And I think it's pretty awesome that my new facebook friend and partner in our kids' education felt compelled to make a contribution toward the cause.  Suellen, you rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment