Saturday, July 10, 2010

Training on Vacation - Part 4 - San Diego Wild Animal Park


After a week in Oklahoma, our vacation now finds us in San Diego visiting my sister and her family.  Yesterday was a travel day, so today was our first full day here.  The fantastic thing about training for a walking event is that sightseeing fits right in to the training routine!


Today we went to the San Diego Wild Animal Park, which is a fantabulous park that showcases wild animals mainly from Africa, in a habitat that closely approximates their natural habitat.  The park is nestled in the hills of Escondido, CA, which is north and east of San Diego, about 25 miles from the ocean.  The park is built on hills, and includes beautiful landscapes and breathtaking vistas of the southern California terrain.

We spent the day in the park, and covered nearly every inch of the place over the course of 7 hours or so.  There were a few great things about the day:

1.  We got to spend some time with my sister and her two kids, which is a very rare event and was much appreciated
2.  The weather was gorgeous, with 80 degree temps and bright blue skies and cool breezes in the shade
3.  After walking all day long, I truly felt like I was IN SHAPE for once!  All my training walks leading up to today have left me feeling very able to handle a whole day on my feet!


Once we got back to the hotel, I used MapMyWalk.com to approximate our walking route in the park today.  If my estimates are even close to correct, we walked roughly 4.5 miles throughout the day, of course with lots of stopping and starting, lots of standing still or slow walking, and some sitting through shows and meals.  There were quite a few hills which gave me ZERO trouble!  And at the end of the day, I was much less tired than I was after my last few training walks.  All in all, a great physical experience to match up with the family day.

No comments:

Post a Comment