Friday, July 30, 2010

Just a few donuts...

When Lori C of HCTC&F suggested holding a "treasure sale" as a fundraiser, I thought it was a great idea.  Unfortunately, though, I have already gotten rid of a lot of stuff from around the house, and we regularly donate to the Purple Heart, National Children's Center, and other charities that pick stuff up from our porch.  So I dind't have a whole lot to sell.  And also, digging through my closets, basement and garage is not on my list of favorite things to do.

So I decided that my contribution to the treasure sale would be to run the concession/snack stand.  I thought this will be the easiest way to make a little money.  I thought I'll just set up a table, put some water and soda on ice, and pick up some donuts to sell and away I go.  It wouldn't be big money, but would be something, and I'd be able to be part of the team event.

So I signed up.

Then I got to thinking - why couldn't I just throw together some cupcakes and sell those too?  While I'm at it, why don't I bake some easy muffins?  Those would sell.  What about some brownies? Surely those would sell too.   I know that I'd make more money if I got people to donate the baked goods, but I figured I could still make a profit even if I baked myself.  No problem.

Then I did a quick google search on "bake sale items" and found lots of great ideas for alternative things to sell.  With all these ideas running thorugh my mind, I visited a few stores and picked up as many pink and white baking supplies as I could find.  I tried to keep the costs down - the dollar store actually had a lot of great stuff!

And then I got home and realize that I have WAY too many ideas and only three evenings in which to pull this off!  So what started out as a quick and easy "pick up a few donuts and have fun" has turned into three stressed out evenings of treat making!  Why oh why do I do this to myself?

All told, here is the list of treats that I've made and will be for sale at the Treasure Sale on Saturday:

  • Chocolate drizzled Rice Krispie Treats with pink and white sprinkles on top
  • Milk Chocolate covered pretzel rods with rainbow sprinkles
  • Pink candy coated pretzel rods with white sprinkles
  • Cookie treat bags containing:  Pink wafer cookies, pink and white frosted animal crackers, and Nilla wafers
  • Candy treat mix bags containing:  Pink and white M&Ms, chocolate covered peanuts, strawberry malted milk balls, and red Twizzler nuggets
  • White cupcakes in pink cupcake liners, with white frosting and candy "pink ribbons"
  • Chocolate cupcakes in pink cupcake liners, with chocolate frosting and pink and white M&Ms
  • Brownies 
  • Banana bread mini-loaves
  • Pumpkin chocolate chip mini loaves
  • Cherry Chocolate Cake
Oh.  And donuts, soda and water.  ;-)

I guess we'll find out tomorrow whether this has been worth it.  It took a lot of work to put it together.  But it sure beat cleaning out the garage!

Hope to see you all tomorrow morning. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment