Tuesday, May 4, 2010

From High to Low

Darn it.

I was doing so well.

I walked all of my first week's worth of training walks with energy to spare. I got my first walk in last Tuesday despite the day getting away from me. I walked on Thursday last week after work, enjoying the great neighborhood and cool evening air. I walked on Saturday morning bright and early with my team friends. I walked Sunday morning with my husband despite the hot and humid morning. It was going so well, everything as planned.

But then today came. And the day was busy. And I was tired. And I was not focused. So by 9:15pm when I finally made it downstairs to the treadmill, things did not go as I wanted. I started off ok, at a steady 3.0mph pace. But for some reason, for the first time, I got shin splints. I don't know why - I never have had that problem before, especially at such an regular and easy pace. But after only 15 minutes, my legs were really, really hurting.

I decided to stop and stretch for a few minutes. I had stretched before starting, but I guess it was not enough. So I stretched some more. Then I walked again. But still my left leg kept cramping up, on my shins and on my hip. My knees were also screaming at me. That was a first too.

I pushed through it for a little while longer. I tried to motivate myself with thoughts of others who are fighting much harder battles than a few leg cramps. But then I gave up.

I hate that.

I hate that feeling.

Darn it.

I know, I know -- this is not the end of the world by any means. I'll come back at it next time and give it another go. And again. And again.

What motivates you go keep going when you feel like giving up?

No comments:

Post a Comment